Thursday 7 July 2016

Unfair trial still on for 3rd August 2016, whether I'm represented or not

Aberdeen Sheriff Court, 6th July 2016


Sheriff Alison Stirling, presiding

Representing myself in Court 3, I requested a further postponement to give me further time to find a solicitor to represent me but this time Jamie Dunbar, Procurator Fiscal Depute, opposed any further postponement.

In court was Leslie Green, a solicitor with George Mathers solicitors who unexpectedly stood up to interject that he was aware I had indeed been trying to find another solicitor, which was nice of Les because, as Sheriff Stirling commented, she thought that George Mathers solicitors had withdrawn from acting for me, which indeed they have.

Sheriff Stirling noted all the previous postponements for various reasons and asked me why I thought solicitors weren't volunteering to act for my defence and I said that it was really for those solicitors to answer for themselves but I surmised it may be because they were busy and this was a complicated case.

Sheriff Stirling ordered an additional intermediate diet (scheduled for 21st July 2016) suggesting that unless I quickly found a solicitor, I should prepare to represent myself which, she said, would mean initially familiarising myself with the evidence disclosed to the defence which the prosecution would be relying on to make their case in court.

Jamie Dunbar said that for disclosure of evidence, I would have to attend the Procurator Fiscal's Office in Huntly Street. That's next to St Mary's Cathedral, between Huntly Street and Crimon Place.

Meantime, the (unfair) trial remains scheduled for the 3rd August 2016.

No comments: